Do you like cake? I sure do. Just recently, I was introduced to two fantastic new cake mixes from Duncan Hines® – a brand you know and trust – Blue Velvet and Pink Velvet, both of which I had the opportunity taste at Winter Food Fete. These mixes really elevate the quality of desserts that you can make conveniently at home.
Pink Velvet Cake (With Cake Balls) is Introduced at Winter Food Fete in February 2014
Just in time for Easter, Duncan Hines® has introduced Limited Edition Spring Velvets™ Cake Mix as a part of their new velvets line; the first in the baking aisle to extend velvet cake beyond the traditional red velvet. As you can see by these beautiful and tempting photos, Spring Velvets™ provides a uniquely colorful way to brighten up any spring time occasion!
Duncan Hines® Spring Velvets™ Cake Mix will be available at limited retailers nationwide only until May 2014, and has a suggested retail price of $1.99. Check out these two recipes for inspiring, lovely and delicious cakes you can make in time for Easter!
Spring Velvets Checkerboard Cake
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Servings: 10-12 servings
1 package of Duncan Hines® Spring Velvets Cake Mix
1 container Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 9×6 loaf pans with shortening or oil spray.
2. Prepare the batters according to the package directions and scoop each batter into each pan.
3. Bake 30-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out free of crumbs. Cool completely.
4. Slice the pink velvet in half lengthwise. Then take each half and slice it in half vertically. You will have 4 strips of cake.
5. Repeat the above process with the yellow velvet.
6. Place a pink slice next to a yellow slice onto a plate. Ice the top with frosting.
7. Next place a yellow slice on top of the pink slice and a pink slice on top of a yellow slice, Ice the top.
8. Repeat the above process until there are no more remaining cake slices.
9. Frost the entire cake upon completing the 4-layer checkerboard.
*Tip – You can build as many checkerboards as you want; you just need to cut smaller slices of cake – refer to picture for guidance.
Spring Velvets Bundt Cake
Hands on time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 40 minutes
Servings: 10-12 servings
1 Box of Duncan Hines® Spring Velvets Cake Mix
1 (3.4 oz.) box of Lemon Instant Pudding and Pie Filling Mix, divided in half
1½ cups water
½ cup oil
1 cup powdered sugar
2Tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt* pan or tube pan
2. Combine 2 eggs ¾ cup of water, ½ cup of dry pudding mix, and ¼ cup oil with first velvet cake mix.
3. In a separate bowl, combine 2 eggs, ¾ cup of water, ½ of dry pudding mix, and ¼ cup oil with second velvet cake mix
4. Beat each mix at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes.
5. Pour Yellow Velvet batter into pan
6. Pour Pink Velvet batter on top of the Yellow Velvet batter.
7. Insert a butter knife halfway into the batter when all of the batter is in the pan. Swirl the batter by gently moving the knife in a circular motion around the pan.
8. Bake at 350° for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out free of crumbs.
9. Cool in a pan for 25 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Cool Completely
10. Make glaze by adding lemon juice to powdered sugar and stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake.