Starting today, the Sloan Fine Art Gallery on the lower east side is hosting the Alternative Press 25th Anniversary Art Exhibition for three days only! I realize that all of the indie rock hipsters are busy with CMJ crap this week, but I attended the opening party last night and can assure you that this exhibit is definitely worth your time to run over and check it out between your showcases and random pukefests. For this special exhibition, the gallery’s rear room has been transformed with tons of cool photographs, milestones and memoirs from the Alternative Press archives while the main gallery highlights original artworks from artists/musicians who have been featured in the magazine over the years. It was sweetly nostalgic for me, looking through everything and remembering way back when Trent Reznor used to get me all hot and bothered and I could stand to listen to a Nine Inch Nails CD for more that 30 seconds. Good times.
I have a lot of opinions about the kinds of things nobody else usually gives a crap about, and to keep track of all my opinions (in case I ever need evidence) I like to make lists. As we creep ever closer to the end of 2007 by the minute, I offer now, for your reading pleasure, my list of the:
Top Ten Things that Should Happen in 2008 to Make My Life Happier
10. Ryan Seacrest ceases to appear in all visual media so I never have to look at the insipid mug of this talentless hack ever again.
9. People of the Earth adopt the philosophy of Zero Population Growth so we can start to repair some of the damage we’ve done to our planet before it’s too late.
8. Smokers realize that the world is not their ashtray.
7. <The View is canceled.
6. My lead-footed upstairs neighbors move away and are replaced by sedentary octogenarians.
5. Every charitable organization except Covenant House takes me off its mailing list forever.
4. Car alarms are declared illegal. Possession of any car whose alarm goes off while I am sleeping is punishable by death.
3. Every band that sounds like My Chemical Romance or Fallout Boy breaks up.
2. Britney Spears becomes a reclusive shut-in.
1. Democrats win the White House and re-take the Senate!