The Birth Machine Baby sculpture pictured above was photographed by me in the Last Rites Gallery in Manhattan, which has a number original HR Giger pieces on display. Giger, who passed away in 2014 at the age of 74, is perhaps best known in popular culture as the designer of the Alien creatures in the film franchise of the same name, or, if you are a bit older, the designer of the cover of Emerson, Lake and Palmer’s 1973 epic prog rock masterpiece, Brain Salad Surgery. But his career was about so much more than that.
Ah, what a lovely day is it here in the City. I admit that I am obsessed with recycling and living as Green as possible, and it really yanks my chain when I see others being needlessly wasteful, littering and, in general, lacking any sense of personal responsibility. As Goethe once said, “Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean.” It’s such a simple step to put into practice, I wonder why we aren’t taught that concept from birth. Continue reading Celebrate Earth Day With Responsible Action
Remember: The World We Leave is the World We’re Coming Back To
Hey what’s up. Happy Earth Day and all that. At lunch time today, they were handing out free bags of delicious popcorn in the cafeteria, which rules and everything, because popcorn is awesome, but I am not sure how that helps us to celebrate Earth Day, specifically. My wish for Earth Day would be that smokers kindly stop using the world as their personal ashtray, and that everyone please remember to recycle. Also, “Zero Population Growth.” Thank you, drive through.
I have a lot of opinions about the kinds of things nobody else usually gives a crap about, and to keep track of all my opinions (in case I ever need evidence) I like to make lists. As we creep ever closer to the end of 2007 by the minute, I offer now, for your reading pleasure, my list of the:
Top Ten Things that Should Happen in 2008 to Make My Life Happier
10. Ryan Seacrest ceases to appear in all visual media so I never have to look at the insipid mug of this talentless hack ever again.
9. People of the Earth adopt the philosophy of Zero Population Growth so we can start to repair some of the damage we’ve done to our planet before it’s too late.
8. Smokers realize that the world is not their ashtray.
7. <The View is canceled.
6. My lead-footed upstairs neighbors move away and are replaced by sedentary octogenarians.
5. Every charitable organization except Covenant House takes me off its mailing list forever.
4. Car alarms are declared illegal. Possession of any car whose alarm goes off while I am sleeping is punishable by death.
3. Every band that sounds like My Chemical Romance or Fallout Boy breaks up.
2. Britney Spears becomes a reclusive shut-in.
1. Democrats win the White House and re-take the Senate!