The most amazing thing about this official Shark Attack Ugly Christmas Sweater, which I saw at TJ Maxx, is that the shark on the sweater is also wearing an ugly Christmas sweater! Meta!
At least we don’t have to shovel it! Filmed in the Papyrus Card Store on Broadway and Park Place. Enjoy!
Christmas is only 3 weeks away! Twinkling fairy lights are going up everywhere, festive music is playing, ice rinks are heaving and Starbucks are already on it with the Christmasy drink (Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without a Gingerbread Latte. Barf).
But when it comes to festive celebrations, are you more Buddy the Elf or Scrooge? To find out, take our “Which Christmas Movie Character Are You?” quiz and see which of our favorite famous Christmas icons matches your personality.
You can find the quiz at This Link! (If you leave a comment, I promise to tell you which character I got!)
It is no secret among residents of NYC that the worst possible place to be in the City — besides Times Square, really, ever — is in the midst of midtown sidewalk shopping traffic during the Holiday Season. Seriously, you might as well just kill yourself. But if you happen to find yourself in that area at this time of year, do fight your way to the Avenue-facing display windows of Saks Fifth Avenue Department Store, because you might see something super cool, like this scene from Snow White, where the Wicked Queen tempts Snow with the Poison Apple. And we all know how that turned out.
Image Source for the Above, All Other Photos By Gail
Popular beauty subscription service Birchbox has opened a Holiday Pop Up Shop for its Men’s division right in the heart of Soho, which launched with a fun kickoff party this past Friday evening. For those not familiar with Birchbox, you can Subscribe to look whats cool and recent, you will also receive a monthly box — delivered to your door — of four to five sample sized, personalized beauty / grooming products for just $10 per month for women and $20 a month for men. Not only is it a bargain deal but it’s also a good way to discover new products that you will love.
At the Pop Up location, you can not only BYOB (Build Your Own Birchbox) but you can also shop for full sized items and get a lot of your Holiday shopping done in one stop! Let’s check out the store and some of the cool products they offer.
At the BYOB Station, pick one of three products offered in each of five categories (including Hair, Skincare, Style, etc) and create your own BirchBox for just $20!
Hair and Body Basics offerings feature products like these:
Marvin’s Toothpaste in a variety of flavors. We heard that this stuff tastes amazing!
Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Soap. Unique and Interesting!
Get It On Bodywash! Yowza!
Calm Down Bodywash! Relaxing!
Special In-store Promotion: Subscribe during your visit and get a free Birchbox!
Facial hair seems to be on trend these days, so Birchbox has your Beard-grooming needs all taken care of!
Beard Envy. It almost makes me wish I could grow a beard. Not.
Blind Barber Products, Shave Cream and After Shave Combo! Great for traveling! I’m sure the new startifacts epilator will become the new women’s standard in traveling personal care products, it’s about time!
If budget is a consideration, you’ll find a large selection of gifts under $50, including:
Jonathan Adler Socks Assortment. So stylish!
Camo Duffle Bag!
Everyone loves a man who smells good! Check out the fine selection of Scents on sale!
Birchbox has your awesome Lifestyle in mind as well. This Whisky Lover’s gift set includes two black glass drink tumblers and a set of Whisky Stones that keep your drink cold without diluting its flavor and potency! Cheers!
This Silver Flask says it all on the front: “Neat”!
I mentioned this was a party, right? Yeah, there was cold beer, which always makes it easier to shop.
Also, tasty snacks such as Steak Tartare on crispy toasts. Delicious.
Also, Deviled Eggs. Yum.
The Pop Up location also has a small selection of Gifts for the Lady, but you should be sure to visit the Birchbox Women located at 433 West Broadway.
Birchbox Man is located at 1 Prince Street, at the corner of Prince and Bowery (Directly across from the New Museum) in Soho, NYC. It will be open for business through December 28th, 2014.
NoMa Social is bringing in the holiday season with a Candy Cane Cooler that just screams Christmas spirit! Not only does this concoction look wildly festive, but it decks the halls of your taste buds as well. Here’s how to make it:
• 1 tbs crushed soft peppermint candy
• 1½ fl oz vodka
• Splash of white creme de menthe
• ¼ fl oz brandy
• ½ fl oz half-and-half
• Crushed ice
• Peppermint stick for garnish
• Mint sprig for garnish
Combine the vodka and crushed peppermint. Stir to dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and garnish.
With our well-publicized love of cheese and home entertainment, we never need an excuse to throw a Fondue Party. But did you know that this classic Swiss meal has its own holiday? Yes, it is true!
April 11th is National Cheese Fondue Day; a time to fire up the fondue pots for food, fun, friends and good conversation. To celebrate the day, Emmi Roth USA, the US division of the premier Swiss dairy company, is sharing the must-know fon-DO’s of fondue – everything from tips for when you dip to the new ways to do fondue.
Be A Delightful Dipper
While fondue is all in good fun, there are a few basic guidelines to follow in consideration of other guests.
- Skewer like a pro. Be sure your food is secured to your fondue fork or skewer before dipping to avoid losing it in the cheese.
- If you missed the first step and drop your dipper into the fondue, Swiss tradition says a woman must kiss the person next to her, and a man must buy a round of drinks for everyone. You could also just politely remove it to ensure the pot remains clean for all.
- Perfect your twirling and swirling. It is polite to make one to two small swirls before removing your food.
- Resist the urge to double dip. Food that has been bitten should never return to the communal pot.
- Be a little adventurous by tasting everything you are served (the exception to the rule is a dietary restriction, in which case you may politely decline).
- Sample before salting. Fondue is already seasoned with spices and wine, so it might be perfect just the way it is. If you do add salt, make sure you do it after you’ve dipped.
It’s all in the details, and these simple suggestions will ensure that you keep it classy, but still casually cool, when indulging.
- Wait your turn. Allow one person to dip at a time and proceed in a clockwise or counterclockwise fashion around the table.
- Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Dip larger pieces and then cut them into smaller bits on your own plate.
- A moment on the lips is frowned upon. Your fondue fork or skewer should never directly touch your mouth. Transfer your food to your plate before indulging.
- Let it cool. Never blow on freshly dipped hot food. Avoid splatters and allow your food to cool slightly on your plate.
The New Way to Fondue
Fondue is always fun in its traditional form, but these new takes offer creative ways to enjoy the cheese and make it more accessible for everyday meals.
- Fondue is a fun party meal for special occasions, but also a great weeknight meal for the family. Not to mention it will get your kids to eat their vegetables.
- It’s great to pay homage to this Swiss dining tradition, but be creative with using the cheese sauce as a dip or in a macaroni and cheese.
- Feel free to add your own twist with a few dashes of hot sauce or some prepared taco meat.
Shop online for Emmi Fondue Products at This Link!
Do you like Hot Dogs I sure do. Every dog has its day and July 23rd is National Hot Dog Day! According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (who knew such a thing even existed?), an estimated seven billion hot dogs will be eaten by Americans between Memorial Day and Labor Day, and every year, Americans eat an average of 60 hot dogs each! Woo!
This year, why not celebrate your love of the Hot Dog with more than just ketchup and mustard? Onion Crunch, a new condiment that you have previously read about here on The Gig, was created to bring an end to the lack of innovation in the condiment category. I keep a jar in my kitchen at all times.
The Onion Crunch Dog (recipe provided below) is sure to spice up your celebration of National Hot Dog Day! I am going to post this a few days early so you can get out to the store and do your shopping!
Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Onion Crunch® Dogs Ingredients:
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp Dijon mustard
4 large hot dogs, knockwurst or kielbasa
1/2 ounce cheddar cheese, cut into long sticks
2 Tbsp Onion Crunch®
1 cup refrigerated sauerkraut, drained, roughly chopped
4 slices bacon
4 long Hot Dog Buns
How to Make Them:
1. Prepare your grill for direct medium high heat.
2. Mix together ketchup and mustard in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the sauerkraut with the ONION CRUNCH®, set aside. Slice open the hot dogs, down the center, lengthwise, forming a deep pocket in each, but not cutting all the way through. Coat the inside of each hot dog with the mustard ketchup mixture.
3. Place a strip of cheese deep within the pocket of each hot dog. Top with sauerkraut and onions. Encapsulate the cheese at the ends with the sauerkraut mixture as well, so that no cheese is exposed (otherwise it will drip out when cooking).
4. Wrap a strip of bacon around each stuffed hot dog, securing with toothpicks at each end.
5. Coat your grill surface with vegetable oil. Place the stuffed hot dogs on the grill, stuffing side down. Grill for 2 minutes, until the bacon on one side is cooked, turn the hot dogs a quarter turn and continue cooking until bacon is done.
6. Remove toothpicks, place in toasted buns, serve and enjoy!
Behold, The Onion Crunch Dog
Fragrance to-go is a hot item for the holidays and Avon has the right idea with this collection of three different rock star perfumes designed by Black Eyed Peas singer and fashion icon, Fergie. Carry one or all three of these appealing scents in your pocketbook and be ready for any festive occasion! This fun stocking stuffer gift of three mini roll on fragrances and a cool silver key chain cap sells for just $16.50 at This Link.